Net Zero by 2023
The UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) is a catalyst for all of us as individuals and businesses to examine what more we can do or have to do to achieve net zero emissions by 2050. As a business, Interpodia firmly supports these global initiatives and has committed to being a net zero business by an aggressive target of December 2023.
‘A carbon footprint is the total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions caused by an individual, event, organization, service, place or product, expressed as a carbon dioxide equivalent’. Covid-19 has impacted us all, but one of the silver linings as a business has been the ability to drastically reduce our carbon footprint. Our principle drivers of emissions were office electricty, employee transportation, business administration, servers, client services, and business travel.
Our Plan To Go Carbon Neutral
Since March 2020, almost all our drivers of carbon have seen significant reductions for obvious reasons. Like most organizations, we have realized the changes brought about the necessity of Covid 19 can be made permanent. To that end, we intend to further reduce our impact and are now committed to the following with respect to our drivers of carbon emissions:
- Office: Become a virtual-first company with home working for global staff, complemented by a smaller work-share headquarters in Vancouver, Canada.
- Employee Transportation: completely eliminated with remote-working
- Business Administration:
- We no longer issues cheques, using electronic payments to all suppliers
- For the few clients that pay us by cheque, we will be phasing this option out in 2022. Where a client insists on cheque payment, there will be a surcharge which will be paid in full to purchase carbon offsets.
- With home working, we have eliminated all heating, cleaning and other drivers of emissions related to an office
- Reduce to under 200 pieces of paper used in the business in 2022, with the goal this is under 100 in 2023
- Servers and Internet Infrastructure: We will engage with our partners in collaborative discussions to see how we can minimize or eliminate our footprint.
- Client Services: We have permanently ceased providing printing and fulfilment services that require printing, mailing or other such of plastic membership cards. The technology we develop has made this redundant, along with our platform enhancements.
- Business travel: We will carefully review the need for business travel, and leverage our staff footprint across North America and Europe for local meetings. Where it is determined that further travel is necessary for the business, we will take steps to minimise footprint.
As we begin this journey, we will be working to determine and publish our carbon footprint in 2022. We will work with our clients, suppliers and other stakeholders to see what else we can do in a collaborative way to bring about the change we all want and need to do to reduce the footprint of carbon in sport.